Late-Night Hosts React to 'Tonight Show' News
By JACKIE WILLIS
April 04, 2013
After months of speculation, NBC finally announced that Jimmy Fallon will be taking over for Jay Leno on the Tonight Show in 2014. This, of course, led to a slew of jokes in Wednesday night monologues by both the hosts in transition and their rivals. Here's what everyone from David Letterman to Conan O'Brien had to say about the Tonight Show takeover:
1. Jay Leno: "Folks, I got to be honest with you. I had a really awkward day today. I had to call David Letterman and tell him he didn't get the Tonight Show again! Awful! Terrible!"
2. David Letterman: "I got a call from my mom today, she said ‘Well, David, I see you didn't get the Tonight Show again."
3. Conan O'Brien, who relinquished the Tonight Show back to Leno in 2009, congratulated Fallon but made no mention of Leno, saying: "It's a fun gig and you know what? Jimmy is the perfect guy to do it; he's going to do a fantastic job. So congratulations Jimmy."
4. Jimmy Kimmel: "As you probably heard -- it was announced officially today -- that, starting in February of next year -- after the Olympics -- I will take over as new host of the Tonight Show. I spoke to Jay on the phone today. ...Excuse me for one moment. [confers with a staffer] OK. Ummm -- apparently it was a different Jimmy. Are you sure? Hold on."
5. Jimmy Fallon: "You guys probably heard the news -- I'm going to be taking over the Tonight Show next February! But don't worry. Until February, our focus is right here on whatever this show is called."