She's making headlines for her performance in the dramedy August: Osage County and also for making controversial comments about entertainment icon Walt Disney. Here are five things you may not know about Meryl Streep.
1. Born Mary Louise Streep in Summit, New Jersey on June 22, 1949 -- her mother was a commercial artist and an art editor and her father worked as a pharmaceutical executive.
RELATED: Streep slams Walt Disney as Sexist, Anti-Semitic
2. Before making it big, worked as a waitress at The Hotel Somerset in Somerville, New Jersey.
3. Originally applied to law school, but overslept the morning of her school interview and says she took that as a sign to pursue other career options.
VIDEO: Juliette Lewis: Meryl Can Throw a 'Groovy' Party!
4. Donated wardrobe items from The Devil Wears Prada to a charity auction. But she decided to keep the famous shades she wore playing Miranda Priestly and wore the stylish sunglasses in Mamma Mia! during the musical number featuring the ABBA hit Money, Money, Money.
5. Was nominated for a 2008 Grammy Award for Best Spoken Word Album For Children for her work on The One and Only Shrek.