Ranking the Couples From Nicholas Sparks' Movie Adaptations
By Meredith B. Kile
Photo: New Line Cinema
Ever since A Walk to Remember, Nicholas Sparks movies have become notorious as heartbreaking love stories, tales of star-crossed couples brought together, only to be tragically ripped apart.
Here's a definitive ranking of the couples who warmed (and then broke) the hearts of moviegoers everywhere:
1. Allie & Noah - 'The Notebook'
The most iconic Sparks adaptation stars Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling as star-crossed lovers Allie and Noah, who fall in love during the 1940s despite the disapproval of Allie's wealthy family.
1a. Allie & Noah - 'The Notebook'
These two get counted again for the adorable, heartbreaking older versions of themselves. Gena Rowlands plays Allie, who is suffering from Alzheimer's Diesease, but remembers her love with Noah (James Garner) every time he reads her their story.
2. Jamie & Landon - 'A Walk to Remember'
Pop star Mandy Moore starred in this 2002 adaptation about a conservative pastor's daughter who is reluctantly won over by bad boy Landon Carter (Shane West).
3. Ronnie & Will - 'The Last Song'
Sparks wrote the leading role in The Last Song for Cyrus, who starred opposite Liam Hemsworth in the film about a troubled teen who reconnects with her estranged father and falls in love during a summer at the beach.
4. Savannah & John - 'Dear John'
Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried starred in 2010's Dear John, which follows an Army staff sergeant who communicates with his loved ones back home through letters.
5. Sophia & Luke - 'The Longest Ride' Life Unexpected star Britt Robertson stars opposite Scott Eastwood in the latest Sparks adaptation as Sophia, a college student who begins a star-crossed relationship with Luke, a former bull-riding champion looking to make a comeback.
6. Adrienne & Paul - 'Nights in Rodanthe' Unfaithful co-stars Diane Lane and Richard Gere reunited for this 2008 adaptation, in which a stressed divorcee and type-A doctor find a second chance at love at a North Carolina bed-and-breakfast.
7. Katie & Alex - 'Safe Haven' Dancing with the Stars pro Julianne Hough played Katie, a young woman on the run who falls in love with Alex (Josh Duhamel), a widowed father of two small children, in 2013's Safe Haven.
8. Beth & Logan - 'The Lucky One'
Zac Efron starred in 2012's The Lucky One as a young Marine who tracks down a woman (Orange Is the New Black's Taylor Schilling) he sees in a fallen soldier's photograph.
9. Amanda & Dawson - 'The Best of Me' True Detective star Michelle Monaghan and James Marsden played high school sweethearts who reunite twenty years later in the 2011 Sparks adaptation The Best of Me.
10. Theresa & Garret - 'Message in a Bottle' House of Cards star Robin Wright starred opposite Kevin Costner in the first of Sparks' film adaptations, playing a newspaper researcher who falls in love with a widower through the letters he writes to his late wife.