The Fast and the Furious franchise has always been a crowd pleaser, but now Vin Diesel says the next installment might win over awards show voters as well.
Straight Outta Compton director F. Gary Gray joined the Fast & Furious family by taking over the helm of Fast 8, and Diesel told ET that being snubbed by the Oscars for his music biopic last year lit a special fire under him that showed on set.
"I think he went into making this movie with a little bit of a chip on his shoulder, going 'Oh, really? Ok. Now I'm going to take the biggest saga in the world, and I'm about to throw Oscars at you,'" Diesel told ET while promoting his next film, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, opening Nov. 11. "Wait till you see what he does!"
According to Diesel, Fast 8 makes a departure from the previous seven films, while building off the last installment, which was Paul Walker's last Furious movie.
"Fast 8 is different. It's very dark," Diesel explained. "My character is conflicted in a way that is really going to shock you. He's coming off of a lot of emotion from 7 and the loss that 7 represents."
While the movie's release isn't until next year, fans in New York City will get an early Christmas gift when the trailer drops.
"December 11, every screen in Times Square will be playing the trailer, and it's going to hit you like a ton of bricks," Diesel promised. "Everything is going to make sense."
Fast 8 is due out April 14, 2017.