5 Facts About Musician Frank Ocean
By JACKIE WILLIS
January 29, 2013
Frank Ocean made headlines all last year for his critically acclaimed album channel ORANGE, his candid comments about his sexuality and his run-in with the law due to pot possession. Now, the 25-year-old hip-hop artist has found himself once again in the spotlight, and this time it's for an alleged altercation with Chris Brown that has spurred a battery investigation against the troubled R&B star. So, where did Frank Ocean, one of the biggest breakout stars of 2012, come from?
Here are five facts about the singer/songwriter:
5. Prior to his 2012 solo album gaining some attention, Ocean started out as a ghostwriter for Brandy, Beyonce, John Legend and Justin Bieber.
4. Ocean then became a part of the Los Angeles group Odd Future, and showed up with them on Jimmy Kimmel Live! following their mixtape Nostalgia, Ultra gaining a bit of buzz.
3. Upon opening up in June 2012 about his "unrequited feelings" for a man when he was 19-years-old, the hip-hop community embraced Ocean even more. Beyonce showed her support on her Tumblr and hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons wrote a congratulatory message to Ocean in the Global Grind, saying, "Today is a big day for hip-hop. It is a day that will define who we really are. How compassionate will we be? How loving can we be? How inclusive are we? ... Your decision to go public about your sexual orientation gives hope and light to so many young people still living in fear."
2. The rapper is up for six Grammy Awards this year including Best New Artist and Album of the Year.
1. In 2010, Ocean legally changed this name from Christopher Breaux to Christopher Francis Ocean.
Did we miss anything? Let us know what you know about Ocean, below.
More On: Chris Brown