Forget Florida Georgia Line (and their number 1 album). Forget Keith Urban (and all those racy music videos he’s making). Your new favorite country star is Sam Hunt. And if he’s not already, he will be by the end of this post.
Actually, he might just be everyone’s new favorite musician – whether you like country music or not. "I am from the country, and I grew up mostly influenced by country music," Sam told Rolling Stone. "So by the definition I have, these are country songs, not pop songs. Even though there may be a pop element."
This week, Sam released his first album, Montevallo. “I'm not trying to become a pop artist, and I'm not trying to make sure I stay a country artist,” he says. “I'm just trying to make sure I make the best music I can, according to my way."
1. Because he’s a singing jock, and isn’t that everyone’s dream man?
That’s what Glee taught us, at least. Sam was a quarterback in college and played football for the University of Alabama at Birmingham, before briefly free agenting for the Kansas City Chiefs.
2. And OK, let’s get the shallow stuff out of the way first: He’s tall.
Look at all 6’4” of him!
3. That face!
4. Those arms!
7. Because before he started his solo career, Sam wrote songs for your other favorite country stars, like Keith Urban (“Cop Car”), Kenny Chesney (“Come Over”), and Billy Currington (“We Are Tonight”).
8. And then he started releasing his own music. Obviously the music is great. And Sam has music for whatever mood you’re in. If you’re feeling romantic there’s “Leave the Night On.”
9. If you’re not looking for anything serious, there’s “Ex to See.”
10. If you’re single and sad about it, try “Breakup in a Small Town.”
11. And if you want to kick back with a beer, go for “House Party.”
12. Because, like his music, Sam is a romantic. His album Montevallo is apparently named after the Alabama hometown of a former flame who inspired much of the album. Swoon-worthy.
13. And he’s humble. He still shows love for his mom.
Uh oh. I just heard mom was on the radio today;) Love that woman— Sam Hunt (@SamHuntMusic) June 18, 2014
14. And respects his dad. Despite being a famous musician.
"Sammy Sammy strong and able get your elbows off the table" -Dad— Sam Hunt (@SamHuntMusic) October 2, 2014
15. Because he uses “blessed” non-ironically.
16. Because he holds adorable little meet and greets like this.
17. And because this baby is his #1 fan.
We love anything this baby loves. He’s that cute.
Make sure you also check out why Sara Evans says she inspired Nashville: