Kesha Delivers Her Planned Billboard Music Awards Performance in Wake of Cancellation Controversy

by Jackie Willis 10:21 AM PDT, May 19, 2016
Playing Kesha Delivers Her Planned Billboard Music Awards Performance in Wake of Cancellation Controversy

Kesha cannot be silenced.

As ET previously reported, the pop star told her fans on Tuesday that she had to pull out of Sunday's 2016 Billboard Music Awards because Dr. Luke's record label, Kemosabe Records, allegedly rescinded their approval. "I was very excited to perform a tribute to Bob Dylan by singing a cover of 'It Ain't Me, Babe' at the Billboard awards this year," she posted to Instagram. "I'm very sad and sorry to say I won't be allowed to do this."

Dr. Luke had no comment.

WATCH: Kesha Shows Her 'True Colors' During Powerful Surprise Coachella Performance With Zedd

Kesha instead took the stage with Ben Folds on Wednesday night in Los Angeles, California, to perform a three-song set that included an emotional rendition of the Dylan track that she had planned to sing at the televised awards show.

She also performed with Folds on his songs, "Still Fighting It” and “Rock This B**ch," and it seemed as if they were attempting to end the latter song with a bit of Kesha's "Sleazy,” a tune that Dr. Luke produced.

MORE: Lady Gaga Speaks Out on Kesha's Billboard Music Awards Ban

After the concert, the 29-year-old pop star took to Instagram to show her gratitude to Folds for allowing her perform with him. "Dear Mr. Ben Folds, thank u for tonight. thanks for letting me share your stage, your band, your audience, your humor, your songs. Thanks for believing in me. Thanks for being a positive and encouraging human in my life," she wrote. "Thanks for ur records that got me through high school. Thanks for being a genius composer. Thanks for being nice when we work together. Thanks for letting me play a Bob Dylan cover with you. Thanks for being a good friend in this scary business."

Folds was also happy to share the stage with Kesha, and posted a link to their performance. "Hear what a Free @KeshaRose really sounds like," he tweeted.

MORE: Judd Apatow, Rita Wilson Show Support for Kesha After Her Removal From Billboard Music Awards Line-Up

On Wednesday, a source told ET that while Kesha was previously approved for the BBMAs performance by the label, once Dr. Luke saw reports that Kesha was planning to slam him in the show, the approval was rescinded.

"Kesha provided Dr. Luke with written assurances that she would not talk about him, mention him or even allude to him in her performance, but as of now Dr Luke still has not approved it," the source added. "Dr. Luke could eventually change his mind about this, however Billboard has a spot to fill for the award show and they've got five days to do it, so if a resolution isn't reached soon, it's likely there's nothing that can be done."

 The cancellation of Kesha's performance comes after her sexual assault case against Dr. Luke, whose real name is Lukasz Gottwald, was put on hold until the singer resolves her breach of contract lawsuit in New York. Kesha is accusing her former music producer of drugging and raping her, claims Dr. Luke has denied as "outright lies."

WATCH: Kesha Performs Emotional Cover of Lady Gaga's 'Til It Happens to You' at Humane Society Gala