10 Fave Film Quotes From 'Reality Bites'
By JACKIE WILLIS
February 18, 2014
It's been 20 years since the 1994 coming-of-age comedy Reality Bites first hit theaters, and that's reason enough to share 10 of our favorite quotes from the cult classic movie.
1. "[answering the phone] Hello, you've reached the winter of our discontent." - Troy Dyer (Ethan Hawke)
2. "I have to work around here, and, unfortunately, Troy, you are a master at the art of time suckage." - Lelaina Pierce (Winona Ryder)
3. Lelaina Pierce (Ryder): "Are you religious?"
Michael Grates (Ben Stiller): "Um, uh, I guess, uh, I guess I'm, uh, a non-practicing Jew."
Lelaina Pierce: "Hey, I'm a non-practicing virgin."
4. "I'm picking up some very strange vibes. They're of the I-just-got-laid variety." - Troy Dyer (Ethan Hawke)
5. "Évian is naive spelled backward." - Vickie Miner (Janeane Garofalo)
6. "Welcome to the world of the emotionally mature. Maybe you've seen Michael. He lives here." Lelaina Pierce (Winona Ryder)
7. "There's no point to any of this. It's just a random lottery of meaningless tragedy and a series of near escapes. So I take pleasure in the details. You know, a quarter-pounder with cheese, those are good. The sky about 10 minutes before it starts to rain. The moments where your laughter becomes a cackle, and I sit back and smoke my Camel Straights and I ride my own melt." - Troy Dyer (Ethan Hawke)
8. "My goal is ...I'd like a career or something." - Sammy Gray (Steve Zahn)
9. "I truly believe that if we can get two women on the Supreme Court, we can get at least one on you." -Vickie Miner (Janeane Garofalo)
10. "You don't understand. Every day, all day, it's all that I think about, OK? Every time I sneeze, it's like I'm four sneezes away from the hospice, and it's like it's not even happening to me. It's like I'm watching it on some crappy show like Melrose Place or some sh**, right? And I'm the new character, I'm the HIV-AIDS character, and I live in the building and I teach everybody that it's OK to be near me, it's OK to talk to me, and then I die. And there's everybody at my funeral wearing halter tops or chokers or some sh** like that." - Vickie Miner (Janeane Garofalo)
What's your favorite line from Reality Bites?