Summer is over? Since when? Technically, it isn't: The official last day of summer is September 23. But that hasn’t stopped everyone from freaking out that this is the end of summer. Maybe it’s because kids are being shipped back to school, maybe it’s because stores are already stocking up on Halloween decorations (YES, ALREADY). Either way, as someone once said on Game of Thrones, winter is coming.
And we're happy summer is ending. Here are 24 reasons you should be too:
1. The insane, insufferable heat will finally end.
How has it been 100 degrees for months now?!
2. Which means you won't sweat standing still.
Goodbye, pit stains! Goodbye, second outfit of the day!
3. You won't look disgusting in every single picture.
It is impossible to look cute while sweating, while the humidity is doing nothing good to your hair, while trying to keep your eyes open as you're squinting into the sun. Consider this the Summer of Lost Selfies.
4. And you'll be able to sleep at night without a fan pointed directly in your face. Hallelujah.
Our REM cycles won’t feel like Hades anymore.
5. Because the beach is a nightmare.
At least, in the summer: There are people everywhere. There is parking nowhere. And when soon as you finally get comfortable with your towel and your umbrella, some a-hole hits you in the face with a Frisbee.
6. Your Instagram feed will be more than just feet next to a pool.
How nice would a picture of fall leaves with a Valencia filter look right about now? Maybe some icicles in Inkwell with contrast turned to 50 percent? Basically, we’ll take anything at this point that isn’t hot dog legs
7. And you’ll have less FOMO while you’re stuck at work.
Summer is the peak season for FOMO (that is, the Fear of Missing Out). While you are dwelling in your cubicle, your friends are getting drinks at the pool, or sun tanning on a roof somewhere. And it hurts. But you’re stuck in your office and your friends are, what? Apple picking? Maybe not worth getting upset about.
8. You won't have to deal with sunscreen.
Applying sunscreen is absolutely the worst. The lotion kind makes your hands gross forever and the spray kind gets in your eyes always. But it's necessary. Which brings us to our next point...
9. No more weird sunburns.
Maybe that farmer's tan will finally start to even out.
10. No more flip-flops as real shoes.
They're not, boys. They're not.
11. Kids are back in school so you finally have a moment of peace.
If you're a parent, you have been counting down to this day. But even if you don't have kids, you'll start to notice the mall is suddenly quieter, less tween-y, more wonderful.
12. Kids are back in college so they finally have a moment of peace.
Why wouldn't you want to go back to college? You're the boss at college!
13. Which also means it's tailgating season.
Football is back, woo. Tailgating is back, WOOHOO! Burgers and beer and taco dip (people: This post doubles as a public service announcement. You need to have taco dip at your tailgates.)
14. Hot drinks are appetizing again.
Could you imagine drinking a hot chocolate in the middle of July? That sounds MISERABLE. But as it cools down outside, you can switch those gallon jugs of water (needed for hydration) for a Pumpkin Spice Latte (needed for deliciousness).
15. TV is about to get good again.
Summer may have fooled you here—"But I watched good TV this summer!" you shout in protest. Wrong: You binge watched Breaking Bad (took you long enough). But summer is a wasteland for TV. Now that it's ending, Scandal and The Good Wife, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Walking Dead, The Mindy Project and Parks and Rec, they'll all be back! With new episodes! DVR activate!
16. Award season movies start coming out.
No disrespect to Guardians of the Galaxy, but the last few months of the year are when studios start rolling out their Academy Awards-worthy movies. Come to us, Meryl Streep. Our cinemas are ready.
17. And good music will drop too.
Adele. Adele. Adele. Adele. Adele.
18. You won’t have to hear "Fancy" anymore.
We love Iggy Azalea. We love "Fancy." But we're ready for something new—anything new—to play on the radio. Who dat, who dat? I-G-G-Y, WE KNOW. WE GET IT.
19. Two words: Sweater. Weather.
Sweaters > T-Shirts. Sorry not sorry!
(Or whatever you celebrate.) THE BEST.
23. And peppermint. Sweet, sweet peppermint flavored everything.
Bark, mocha, you name it, it's about to have peppermint in it.
All of which is good because...
24. You can get a jump-start on gaining your winter weight.
Turkey. Mashed potatoes. Halloween candy. ALL OF THE HALLOWEEN CANDY. Give it to us, we don’t care. We don’t have to wear a bathing suit again for like, 10 months. We can figure it out then.