Colin Farrell Confirmed for Second Season of 'True Detective'

by Rosalyn Oshmyansky 10:16 AM PDT, September 21, 2014
Photo: Getty Images

Colin Farrell will be starring in True Detective. The 38-year-old actor confirmed the news to Ireland's Sunday World and said, "I'm doing the second series. I'm so excited."

The hit show previously starred Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, but they confirmed that neither will be in the second one which only started rumors of who would replace them.

NEWS: The 'True Detective' Casting Rumors

Farrell spoke about the show saying he knows "very little about it," but it will be filmed in Los Angeles. He said,  "I know it will be eight episodes and take around four or five months to shoot."

NEWS: HBO's 'True Detective' Debuted with Huge Ratings 

The first season of True Detective premiered on January 12 of this year and followed the lives of Rust Cohle and Martin Hart, two Louisiana State Police Criminal Investigations homicide detectives, and their hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana over the course of 17 years.

The Wrap reported that this new season will "follow the death of Ben Caspar, the corrupt city manager of a fictional California city who's found brutally murdered amid a potentially groundbreaking transportation deal that would forever change freeway gridlock in the state. Three law enforcement officers from different cities and branches of the government are tasked with finding out who did it. They soon discover their investigation has much broader and darker implications than they initially thought."

NEWS: HBO's 'True Detective' Debuted with Huge Ratings 

The second season will not premiere on HBO until the summer of 2015.

Watch the Exclusive True Detective Clip below.