It’s really hard to imagine, but some of the most successful actresses were actually told early on in their career that they weren't attractive enough to make it in Hollywood!
The latest movie star to drop the bombshell about being called unattractive is Jessica Chastain, who has had quite the year, starring in four films and receiving a Golden Globe nomination.
And, sadly, she’s not the only one. Here are seven other actresses who have had the same experience.
1. Meryl Streep: The most Oscar nominated actor of all time was told to her face that she wasn't pretty enough to star in the 1976 classic King Kong? Meryl explained on The Graham Norton Show that she was asked to audition with producer Dino de Laurentis by his son. Upon meeting the actress, Dino asked his son in Italian, "Why do you bring me this ugly thing?” A sassy Meryl who also understood Italian quickly responded back in the producer’s language, “I’m sorry I’m not beautiful enough to be in King Kong?”
2. Lea Michele: Before the multi-talented singer was playing a high school student in Glee, a manager told she needed to get a nose job when she was only 15! Her mother thankfully talked her out of it by using Barbra Streisand’s success without any plastic surgery.
3. Sarah Jessica Parker: The Sex and the City star has long been criticized for her appearance and Maxim even went as far as naming her the unsexiest woman alive in 2007.
4. Pink: The edgy rocker says that being “beautiful” was never her goal. "A 'girl like me' is someone who doesn't rest on her looks, who has had people tell me from day one, 'You're never going to get magazine covers because you are not pretty enough,” Pink told Redbook.
5. Kat Dennings: The brunette beauty never followed advice from casting agents gave her early on in her career which were: tighten her teeth, dye her hair, lose weight and get a tan.
6. Winona Ryder: Early on in her career during an audition a casting director said to her, "Listen, kid. You should not be an actress. You are not pretty enough. You should go back to where you came from and you should go to school. You don't have it," Winona revealed to Interview magazine.
7. Mindy Kaling: Oddly enough, Mindy was offered a sketch show from a network but they told her she wasn't attractive enough to play herself and even made her audition!
Watch the above video to see what the actresses said about being not pretty enough!
Follow Rebecca on Twitter @RebeccaZamer