EA shut down Maxis Emeryville today, the game developer responsible for The Sims and SimCity.
In a statement released to Kotaku
, they said that "Today we are consolidating Maxis IP development to our studios in Redwood Shores, Salt Lake City, Helsinki and Melbourne locations as we close our Emeryville location."
The good news for current Sims fans is that while the developer as we know it is no more, the "changes do not impact our plans for The Sims."
That's a relief, but we're still sad to see Maxis go. Here are some life lessons we might have never learned without our beloved Sims.
1. Make bladder control a priority.
Bathroom or no bathroom, Sims will go when they need to go.
2. If you want to get promoted, try having a well lit walk to the car in the morning.
3. If your problems seem insurmountable, remove all the exits and cause a fire.
It's not psychotic if it's The Sims!
Remember you have the power. The Sims do not have the power.
5. Remember to take out the trash.
6. Don't be afraid to tell it like it is.
If you're a Taurus and an Aquarius starts flirting with you, feel free to be very vocally disgusted.
7. Remember to let your Sims have fun!
You're playing a game, make sure your Sims aren't all work and no play too!
8. When you love someone, love them ALL THE WAY.
Sims are a passionate bunch!
9. Last but not least, don't take life to seriously.
Thanks for all the fun, Maxis!
And if you think the party has to stop, tell that to Jessie J. Watch her talk about how writing Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA" paid her bills for three years.