Clearly, you can’t believe everything you read!
After Kendall Jenner denied giving an unusually candid interview to Us Weekly about her father Bruce Jenner's rumored transition, it appears the publication is backing down.
In a new statement, the magazine offers that the reported interview was conducted by a freelance reporter, and apologized to Kendall and her family. They also removed the original story from their website.
Here's Us Weekly’s full statement:
On Wednesday, March 18, Us Weekly published on UsMagazine.com an interview with model and reality star Kendall Jenner entitled "Kendall Jenner Breaks Silence on Bruce Jenner's Transition: 'I Will Always Love My Dad.'" The interview was allegedly conducted by an independent freelance journalist at the Saturday, March 14, taping of Comedy Central's roast of Justin Bieber in Los Angeles. When Ms. Jenner denied, via Twitter, that the interview took place, Us Weekly immediately reached out to the freelance reporter. He stood by the interview, and continues to maintain that the quotes are accurate. However, after attempting to reconfirm his account, editors of Us have concerns about the veracity of this interview and the circumstances under which it was obtained. We would like to retract the story entirely and have removed it from our website. We sincerely apologize to Ms. Jenner and her family.
The quotes in question center around Bruce’s gender identity. "He's a wonderful man. And just because he's changing shoes now, so to speak, doesn't make him less wonderful," Us Weekly originally reported the 19-year-old having said. "I will always love my dad, whether he's a man or a woman."
Shortly following publication of the story, a source close to Kendall Jenner told ET this interview never happened and the quotes are "100% false."
Kendall also took to her own Twitter to express her dismay. "How is it legal for someone to 'quote' someone and publish it if in fact you never said what was quoted?," she tweeted. "Shame on Us Weekly for making up quotes, I NEVER said those things. I never spoke to them."
Shame on US Weekly for making up quotes. I NEVER said those things. I never spoke to them.— Kendall Jenner (@KendallJenner) March 18, 2015
how is it legal for someone to "quote" someone and publish it if in fact you never said what was quoted.— Kendall Jenner (@KendallJenner) March 18, 2015
Bruce's gender identity has long been a topic of increased speculation. While the 65-year-old former Olympian has yet to address the issue himself, other members of his family have spoken out. "I think he’s just very happy and I think every time he makes a change in his life -- whether it's emotional or physical or whatever he's doing -- somebody's going to comment on whatever look you have going on for the day," Bruce's ex-wife Kris Jenner told ET last October.
Kim Kardashian also added her support. "I think everyone goes through things in life, and I think that story and what Bruce is going through, I think he'll share whenever the time is right," she told us earlier this year. "I feel like that's his journey to talk about."
ET can confirm reports that Bruce will sit down with Diane Sawyer and tell his story in May.
Watch the Kardashian-Jenner women rally around Bruce Jenner below.