Lester Holt is no longer "filling in" on NBC Nightly News.
The network announced on Thursday that Holt, 56, has been named the permanent anchor of NBC Nightly News and will be replacing Brian Williams, who had been suspended for six months earlier this year.
Promised my family I wouldn't think about work during vacation. Just got the ok to break that promise. Excited and grateful for new role.— Lester Holt (@LesterHoltNBC) June 18, 2015
"This is an enormous honor. The respect and admiration I have for the Nightly News team has only grown deeper over the last several months that we've been together," Holt said in a statement. "Day-in and day-out under an uncomfortable spotlight, they have produced world-class journalism. I'm very proud and grateful to be part of such an unflappable and dedicated team of professionals as we move forward together."
But Williams isn't leaving the company entirely.
Williams, 56, will now join MSNBC as an anchor of breaking news and special reports, according to NBC. He will begin his new role in mid-August.
The announcement also included an apology from Williams himself.
"I'm sorry. I said things that weren't true. I let down my NBC colleagues and our viewers, and I’m determined to earn back their trust," Williams said of his return to NBC. "I will greatly miss working with the team on Nightly News, but I know the broadcast will be in excellent hands with Lester Holt as anchor. I will support him 100% as he has always supported me. I am grateful for the chance to return to covering the news. My new role will allow me to focus on important issues and events in our country and around the world, and I look forward to it."
The apology is not the first from Williams. He initially apologized in February and admitted his mistake after falsely reporting that he was under fire during the invasion of Iraq in 2003.
"I want to apologize. I said I was travelling in an aircraft hit by RPG [rocket-propelled grenade] fire," he said on Nightly News on Feb. 4. "I was actually instead in a following aircraft."
The fallout only continued as an internal investigation showed further instances of reporting embellishments.
Only time will tell if the audience forgives him and watches him on MSNBC.
Check out the video below to see more on the scandal that shook up evening news.