On Friday, the Supreme Court of the United States voted in a 5-4 decision to legalize same-sex marriage across all 50 states. “They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law,” Justice Anthony Kennedy, the swing vote in the verdict, wrote. “The Constitution grants them that right.”
It’s a day for celebration. It’s an emotional day. Here is a sampling of tweets from this morning that, in addition to celebrating the big announcement, will probably bring you to tears. (We cried.)
1. The last paragraph in Justice Kennedy’s marriage ruling:
2. The history of the fight for marriage equality in one GIF:
3. A list of the states that now offer same-sex marriages:
4. President Barack Obama’s touching words after the ruling:
5. And the fact that there was a literal rainbow over the White House:
6. This, ahem, astute observation about the SCOTUS judges:
7. And the running of the interns to deliver the ruling this morning:
8. This cartoon that shows the radical change made in just one week:
9. All of the weddings that took place today: In Texas.
14. Everyone who dreamt about telling their kids about this day.
18. The people remembering those who fought to get us where we are today.
21. And but a few of the activists who helped make history.
25. Everyone sharing texts of support from their friends and family.
28. Including Orange Is the New Black’s Samira Wiley:
29. This moving compilation of YouTube videos to celebrate the news:
30. The truest time to use the phrase, “I don’t like labels.”
31. A “thank you” to the Supreme Court for being on the right side of history.
32. And this important message from Billy Eichner:
Well, maybe that last one won’t make you cry. But let’s end on a lighter note.
Now, get more information about today’s historic ruling and reactions to it: