Does Stan Lee approve of the new Spider-Man?
One week after a brand-new Peter Parker was cast (hello Tom Holland!), the creator of the character gave us his take on the young actor taking the reins.
“He’s good to me! I can’t see anything wrong with him,” Lee told ETonline’s Ashley Crossan at Monday’s Ant-Man premiere.
Though the comic book legend wasn’t familiar with the 19-year-old English actor – Lee hadn’t seen any of his previous work – he had nothing but great things to say about what was to come.
“I don’t know him intimately. In fact, I’ve never seen him [onscreen], but if [Marvel] picked him, I’m sure he’s good!” Lee said.
Earlier this year, fanboys and fangirls had much to celebrate when Sony Pictures announced a new partnership with Marvel Studios, bringing the beloved web-slinger back to the Marvel fold after more than a decade. Sony had owned the film rights to Spider-Man since 1999 and had released five films with Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield donning the red and blue suit.
A new Spider-Man film is slated to hit theaters July 28, 2017, though rumors have been circling that the new iteration of the character could be first seen in next year’s Captain America: Civil War.
“He was never gone,” the 92-year-old comics vet told ETonline of Spider-Man’s return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. “There was just a small hiatus.”
Even so, Lee understood the significance of Spidey’s homecoming.
“He’s got to be the mainstay of the whole thing,” Lee said. “He’s the big one. Spider-Man is the big gun. You show him everywhere around the world and people know who he is.”
“I love the fact that there’s another movie. It’s great, it really is,” he added.
Here's everything you need to know about your new Spider-Man, Tom Holland!