Zayn Malik Throws Major Shade at One Direction, Says He Left to Make '#RealMusic'

by Alex Ungerman 4:20 PM PDT, July 29, 2015
Playing Zayn Malik Throws Major Shade at One Direction, Says He Left to Make '#RealMusic'

Zayn Malik appears to have put his days with One Direction FAR behind him.

"I guess I never explained why I left ," the 22-year-old ex-One Direction star tweeted on Wednesday, making a not-so-subtle dig at his former mates, "it was for this moment to be given the opportunity to show you who i really am! #realmusic #RCA !!"

WATCH: Zayn Malik Breaks Silence: I Feel Like I Let One Direction Fans Down

Real music?!

The singer followed up the tweet with a picture of himself signing on the dotted line, before posting a tweet with simply the hashtag "#REALME."

PHOTOS: Quitting the Band: Musicians Who Left Popular Groups

Simon Cowell, who created One Direction, congratulated Zayn on his move to RCA, writing, "We have been working on this for a while and I am pleased to say congratulations to @Zaynmalik on signing with @RCARecords."

MORE: 22 One Direction Fans Who Were Completely Devastated About Zayn Malik Quitting

"I believe they are the perfect label for @ZaynMalik’s solo career and I am sure whatever they release together will be special," Cowell continued.

With Zayn embarking on his solo journey and Louis Tomlinson's baby news, it makes you wonder if the One Direction members are about to head off in their own directions. Former 'NSYNCer Lance Bass claimed back when Zayn quit One Direction, Harry Styles had already been planning to go solo.

"Harry Styles has been ready to go solo for many months," Lance said on The Meredith Vieira Show. "In fact, he's been recording solo, he was about to leave."

WATCH: One Direction's Louis Tomlinson Is Going to Be a Dad!

Incidentally, the boys of One Direction recently celebrated their five-year anniversary. Meanwhile, Zayn was spotted partying in Los Angeles, California. Watch the video below.