Plenty of things happened at Sunday’s MTV Video Music Awards that made sense. Nicki Minaj squashed her “beef” with Taylor Swift by welcoming her to the stage. The host of the VMAs, Miley Cyrus, pointed out how little winning a VMA actually means. Etcetera.
But we still have a few questions. Like...
1. Was that Nicki-Miley moment scripted?
We’re guessing no.
2. And will Miley ever recover from it?
Again, we’re guessing no.
3. Is Nicki Minaj the reason we still have award shows? Because she’s definitely the best part of every award show we’ve had lately.
Remember when she spilled the tea at the BET Awards? Anyway, can we go back in time and change our yearbook quote to, “Now back to this b***h that had a lot to say about me the other day in the press.”
4. SERIOUSLY, why was Justin Bieber crying after his performance?
Did he catch his reflection in a camera and finally see that haircut?
5. And speaking of, what’s going on with that new haircut, Bieber?
It’s very Jon & Kate Plus 8 meets “Can I Speak To The Manager?” Sidebar question: We’re not going to let this haircut become a trend now, are we? Teens? We’re not, right?
6. Who approved that Rebel Wilson bit about “stripper police”?
Not just because it seemingly made light of police brutality, but also because who allowed her to wear a shirt with “F**K” written on it on live TV? Did MTV have a dress rehearsal or anything for this?
7. What do you think these two talk about?
9. Could we really have guessed that Kanye was going to run for president?
He said, “As you probably could’ve guessed by this moment, I have decided in 2020 to run for president.” But really, could we have guessed that’s where that speech was going?
10. And is Miley really voting for Donald Trump?
11. When is Justin Timberlake not crying?
Kanye is so cute, y'all.— Justin Timberlake (@jtimberlake) August 31, 2015
(See also: That episode of Punk’d, where he cried.)
12. How are you going to have an award show with two of the weirdest people ever in attendance (Miley and Jaden Smith) and not make them interact?
Missed opportunity. Why was Jaden Smith even there?
13. And why was Iggy Azalea there?
We don’t mean that in the shady way that you all meant it. But the verse she rapped during “Cool for the Summer” seemed like it was from a different song. Why did they not just debut their collaboration from Demi Lovato’s upcoming album?
14. People do know that Selena Gomez is more than just a member of Taylor’s squad, right?
Poor Selena. She just stood there silently with Karlie Kloss and Gigi Hadid while Taylor did all the interviews. Selena has an album coming out soon!!
15. And what did Hailee Steinfeld ever do to you, Miley?
During the show, the VMA host tossed it to the VMA field correspondent (or whatever Hailee Steinfeld’s role was?) by saying, “And nothing says turnt like Hailee Steinfeld.” Well. That just seems petty AF.
16. Did you ever think the VMAs would end with Mariska Hargitay onstage?
17. Why don’t we talk more about how hot Nick Jonas is?
We all know it. We just think we should talk about it more. Like, all the time.
18. Is this clothes?
19. Did Britney Spears and Nicki coordinate their outfits?
Or did this happen because they didn’t? Hopefully it’s subliminal promo for “Till the World Ends 2.0!” #BuyFemmeFataleOnITunes
20. What is Kanye’s bedtime? Was this show past Kanye’s bedtime?
Or did he just wear himself out because he’s the best crowd dancer ever?
21. Why aren’t there more drag queens at award shows?
There should be drag queens in every performance at every award show, TBH.
22. Finally, does Miley Cyrus smoke weed?
We had no idea.
Now, check out the biggest surprises of the VMAs, including Miley’s nip slip:
- 2015 MTV VMAs
- Iggy Azalea
- Taylor Swift
- Selena Gomez
- Miley Cyrus
- Kim Kardashian
- Donald Trump
- Demi Lovato
- Britney Spears
- Kanye West
- Justin Bieber