NEWS

Eagles of Death Metal Nix Tour Following Paris Tragedy

by Philiana Ng 10:31 AM PST, November 14, 2015
Photo: Facebook

Eagles of Death Metal is canceling their European tour in the wake of the Paris attacks and returning to the U.S., according to the Agence France-Presse.

The California-based rock band was in the middle of performing at the esteemed Bataclan concert hall on Friday night when several gunmen entered, killing at least 87 people.

RELATED: 5 Things to Know About Eagles of Death Metal

The group, formed by Jesse Hughes and Queen of the Stone Age’s Josh Homme, had dates scheduled throughout Europe until Dec. 10, including a concert in Tourcoing, France on Saturday and a show in Brussels, Belgium on Sunday.

The AFP cited a rep for Nous Productions, a French concert promoter, who said, “The group is going to return.”

Though it was reported that all Eagles of Death Metal band members were safe following the attacks, the group posted an update to their Facebook page just before 1:30 a.m. Paris time, suggesting that not everyone in the crew had been accounted for. 

"We are still currently trying to determine the safety and whereabouts of all our band and crew. Our thoughts are with all of the people involved in this tragic situation," the update read.

RELATED: Foo Fighters Cancel Remainder of European Tour in Wake of Paris Attacks

We are still currently trying to determine the safety and whereabouts of all our band and crew. Our thoughts are with all of the people involved in this tragic situation.

Posted by Eagles Of Death Metal onFriday, November 13, 2015

The Deftones, who were scheduled to play shows at the Bataclan from Saturday through Monday, will also return to the States, the promoter said.

The brother of Eagles of Death Metal drummer Julian Dorio told Atlanta-area Channel 2 Action News that the band was about six songs into their show when they heard machine gun fire, and they escaped through a door at the back of the stage that led to the street.

Other bands and musicians have also canceled shows in the wake of the attacks, including the Foo Fighters and U2, who were scheduled to take the stage at Paris’ AccorHotels Arena on Saturday and Sunday, with Saturday’s sold-out show slated for a live HBO broadcast.

At least 127 people have been killed in the city-wide attacks, and hundreds more hospitalized. President Francois Hollande called the tragedy -- which ISIS has since claimed responsibility for -- “an act of war.”

SHARE ON FACEBOOK SHARE SHARE ON TWITTER TWEET