After news broke that the 78-year-old comedian was being charged
with aggravated indecent assault -- a second degree felony -- in the investigation of an alleged incident that took place in 2004, the Trainwreck
filmmaker started tweeting.
"Bill Cosby has spent his life attempting to silence the women he has assaulted with threats, lawsuits and money," he wrote to his 1.4 million followers. "Hopefully now many of these women will get to tell their stories in a court of law and the people who supported him will get deposed."
Former Temple University employee Andrea Constand is alleging that the comedian drugged and violated her at his mansion in Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, more than a decade ago. Cosby will be arraigned on Wednesday afternoon. If found guilty, the charge carries a maximum penalty of 5-10 years in prison and a $25,000 fine.
During an interview with Rolling Stone
magazine earlier this year, Apatow revealed that he has a personal connection
to the scandal surrounding the former Cosby Show star.
"The Cosby thing I took seriously because I know one of the victims, who is not going to come forward," he explained. "I had a personal connection to it, where somebody that I care about said that's exactly how it went down."
When ET spoke with the filmmaker in July, he was certain that Cosby's supporters would eventually change their minds about him. "Well, I think everyone in the world's gonna slowly see that sadly, he did a lot of terrible things," he told ET's Kevin Frazier. "I think people are very slow to want to believe it because he's someone we all loved for so long. But he did terrible things." Cosby has denied all wrongdoing.
Here's more from our interview with Apatow: