NEWS

Whoopi Goldberg on Bill Cosby's Sexual Assault Charge: 'I'm Glad It's Happening'

by Sophie Schillaci 11:11 AM PST, January 04, 2016
Playing Whoopi Goldberg on Bill Cosby's Sexual Assault Charge: 'I'm Glad It's Happening'

The ladies of The View tackled Bill Cosby's sexual assault charge on Monday's show, with Whoopi Goldberg admitting she's "glad" to see action being taken.

"Look, I'm glad it's happening," she said of the latest legal development. "I sorta feel like, whenever you have people saying, 'This is what happened, this is what happened, this is what happened,' I want the court. I want to hear it. ... I want everybody to be able to ask the questions. We've heard a lot, but we have not heard anything from his side."

READ: Judge Rules Bill Cosby's Wife Must Testify in Defamation Lawsuit 

Cosby was arraigned on Dec. 30 on one charge of aggravated indecent assault in connection to an alleged 2004 incident, shortly before the statute of limitations was to have run out. This marks the first criminal charge against Cosby, after more than 50 women have accused him of drugging and/or sexually assaulting them. He has denied all wrongdoing.

Cosby's former TV granddaughter, Raven-Symone, admitted on Monday's episode of The View that she "would like to watch" the progression of the case unfold on television. "This needs to be on TV, I think," speculated co-host Joy Behar.

A preliminary hearing in Cosby's case has been set for Jan. 14. In an interview with Today co-host Savannah Guthrie last week, Cosby's lawyer, Monique Pressley, ruled out any possibility of accepting a plea deal.

"My client is not guilty," Pressley said. "And there will be no consideration on our part of any sort of [plea] arrangement."

WATCH: Whoopi Goldberg Changes Her Stance on Bill Cosby 

Goldberg previously defended Cosby against the controversial allegations, but changed her tune in July. "It looks bad, Bill," Goldberg noted in an interview with ABC News, adding, "Either speak up, or shut up, because people know now there's a lot more out there than they thought."

On New Year's Eve, Cosby broke his post-arraignment silence with a simple message on Twitter. "Friends and fans, Thank You," he wrote. 

Earlier in December, Cosby had filed a countersuit against several of his accusers for defamation. He also filed a separate defamation lawsuit against supermodel Beverly Johnson -- who made highly publicized claims that she "felt drugged" after sipping a cappuccino that Cosby allegedly offered her in the mid-1980s -- that same month.  

For the latest on the allegations against Cosby, watch the video below.

SHARE ON FACEBOOK SHARE SHARE ON TWITTER TWEET