NEWS

'Saturday Night Live' Mocks the Oscars' Lack of Diversity: 'The Winner Is All the White Guys!'

by John Boone 2:15 PM PST, January 24, 2016
Photo: NBC

Saturday Night Live has a lot to lampoon these days.

After Tina Fey's spot-on recreation of Sarah Palin's "right wingin', bitter clingin'" Trump endorsement in the cold open on Saturday, the show took on the lack of diversity at this year's Academy Awards with a sketch called "Screen Guild Awards."

So, who wins Best Actor? "It's a five-way tie! All of the white guys!"

EXCLUSIVE: Host Chris Rock Will Address #OscarsSoWhite Outrage

#OscarsSoWhite backlash began when, for the second year in a row, the Academy nominated exclusively white actors. On Friday, Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs and the Board of Governors announced "historic" changes to double the number of women and "diverse members" by 2020.

Still, director Spike Lee, who was one of the first celebrities to call for a boycott of the show, says he won't be attending.

"I commend the Academy for what they've done. But that does not change our mind,” the Chi-Raq director told AP. "The Knicks will be victorious -- I hope. I'll be at the Garden. My wife and I will be in my courtside seats."

EXCLUSIVE: Viola Davis Says 'The Problem Is Not With the Oscars'

Meanwhile, Ice Cube, who previously said that if they had "put a slave" in Straight Outta Compton, it might not have been snubbed, opened up about the boycott on The Graham Norton Show on Friday.

"You can't boycott something that you never went to anyway. That's kinda weird," the rapper, who produced the film, said. "I look at it like a horse race. Once your horse loses the race, you tear up the ticket, go home. Back on out."

"We don't do movies for the industry. We do movies for the fans, for the people," Cube added. "The industry, if they give you a trophy or not, or they pat you on the back or not, it's nice, but it's not something you should dwell on."

As for Chris Rock, who will host the show despite other actors suggesting he step down, ET learned the comedian is "throwing out the show [he] wrote" to fully address the controversy. Get the scoop in the video below.

SHARE ON FACEBOOK SHARE SHARE ON TWITTER TWEET