Chris Rock Shares Cryptic #Blackout Message Ahead of Oscars

by Elizabeth VanMetre 11:30 AM PST, February 27, 2016
Photo: ABC

Chris Rock shared a cryptic message just days ahead of his Oscars hosting gig.

The 51-year-old comedian used minimal words to make a big statement on social media about the #OscarsSoWhite controversy. On Thursday, Rock shared a video and wrote, "See you Sunday… #blackout #oscars."

See you Sunday... #blackout #oscars

A video posted by Chris Rock (@chrisrock) on

WATCH: Chris Rock Teases Shonda Rhimes in New T.G.I.T.-Inspired Oscar Promos

In January, Jada Pinkett Smith called for a boycott of the Oscars after the Academy failed to nominate any actors of color for the second year in a row. Both she and Spike Lee announced that they would not be attending the award show, while Tyrese Gibson suggested that Rock should give up his hosting duties.

"Is Chris Rock still gonna host the Oscars after this blatant racism?? Is everyone still gonna show up??" Gibson wrote.

Despite speculation, Academy Awards producer Reginald Hudlin told ET that Rock would not be dropping out of the Oscars but was re-working his material to incorporate the controversy.

"Chris is hard at work. He and his writing staff locked themselves in a room," Hudlin said. "As things got a little provocative and exciting, he said, 'I'm throwing out the show I wrote and writing a new show.'"

NEWS: Oscars 2016 Cheat Sheet

Despite Hudlin's claims, however, Rock's camp kept mum. Last month, his rep told ET, "Chris has made no decisions about the content of the show. All will be revealed on Feb. 28."

Don't miss ET's live Academy Awards pre-show on Pop this Sunday, Feb. 28., starting at 5 p.m. ET/2 p.m. PT. Go to to find out where to watch.

WATCH: Oscars Host Chris Rock Expected to Joke About Diversity Issue