Pauley Perrette 'Forgives' Homeless Man Who Allegedly Attacked Her in Heartfelt Essay

by Alex Ungerman 2:04 PM PST, March 07, 2016
Photo: Getty Images

Pauley Perrette is opening up about her scary encounter.

The NCIS star discusses her alleged attack by a homeless man last November in a new essay published on Time's Motto website, admitting that she "never expected either the attack or the following intense news coverage."

"The media was, of course, partly because of my job and my celebrity status," the 46-year-old actress writes. "But the other part was the obvious irony of me being an outspoken advocate for the homeless."

EXCLUSIVE: Pauley Perrette Was 'Crying All Night' After Attack: I Believed He Was Going to Kill Me

She goes on to describe the terrifying events, writing, "I was alone. I was pinned. I could not run, and I could not fight."

"He kept repeating that his name was William and he was going to kill me and to remember his name," she claims.

EXCLUSIVE: First Look at Pauley Perrette's Sketch of Her Alleged Attacker That Led to an Arrest

While telling those close to her she was OK, Perrette admits that, in actuality, "I was traumatized and scared."

Despite fearing for her life, however, Perrette says that her thoughts remain with her alleged attacker.

WATCH: Pauley Perrette Comforted by Her Church Congregation Following Violent Attack

"My overwhelming emotion was for the man who attacked me. My heart broke for him. My tears that night were for him. I had looked into his eyes. There was nothing there," she shares. "It seemed like his soul and his humanity were gone. He was out on the street without resources. It was a consequence of our failure as a society to take care of our mentally ill and impaired homeless community."

The CBS star adds that she forgives the alleged attacker, later identified at as David Merck, who was charged with making felony criminal threats and imprisonment by violence in November. Merck -- who could face up to four years in prison if convicted -- has pleaded not guilty to both charges and is currently being held on $60,000 bail. His pretrial hearing is set for March 18, Motto reports.

MORE: Pauley Perrette's Alleged Attacker Charged, Could Face Four Years in Prison

"I'm often asked how I feel about him, and do I forgive him. Of course I forgive him," she writes. "I have no anger, only sadness."

"I am still healing. I was already in therapy for a prior unrelated trauma. I'm grateful to still be in therapy after this," Perrette notes. "I am grateful to be alive. I am saddened by the state of our homeless community."

WATCH: Pauley Perrette on Facing Alleged Attacker in Court: 'It Was Terrifying'

After the attack, Perrette opened up to ET, saying, "He told me he was going to kill me several times and I absolutely believed him."

"I prayed as hard as I've ever prayed for anything ever in my life, and I didn't do anything," she added. "I thought, anything I do would escalate the situation -- I couldn't overcome him, he was stronger than me."

WATCH: Pauley Perrette Still Can't Believe She Got Away From Her Alleged Attacker Alive

Much like her essay, Perrette's thoughts at the time were for the homeless community.

"[My heart] breaks for every single person that's out there on the streets," she said last year, "especially [those] with undiagnosed or untreated mental illness."

WATCH: Pauley Perrette Reports Another Scary Encounter With a Transient Months After Attack