Seth Meyers officially banned Donald Trump from his NBC talk show.
The Late Night host made the announcement Tuesday night in response to Trump’s decision to revoke the Washington Post’s press credentials.
"When it comes to bigotry, Trump keeps upping his game," Meyers said. "But even for Trump, Monday was a new low. For one thing, Trump banned a major newspaper from reporting on his campaign, and it's not even the first time he's done that."
The Post reported that Trump had suggested President Barack Obama sympathized with terrorists after not using the phrase "radical Islam" when talking about Sunday’s mass shooting at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida.
"Sure, Trump didn’t explicitly say it," Meyers continued. "He implied it with all the subtlety of an eighth grader’s cologne. But Trump’s vague innuendo is no accident. This is a strategy he uses to try to appeal to the outer fringes while also avoiding accountability."
The 42-year-old comedian went on to say that the presumptive Republican presidential nominee would be banned from his show for as long as the Post was blocked from Trump’s campaign events.
"As for the Washington Post, we here at Late Night believe in freedom of the press and therefore have decided to stand in solidarity with them,” he said. “So as long as the Washington Post is banned from Donald Trump’s campaign, Donald Trump will be banned from ever coming on this show."
The Post is the latest media outlet to be banned from all Trump-related events. Other outlets whose credentials have been revoked include BuzzFeed, Politico, The Daily Beast, The Huffington Post and Univision.
Meyers ended his announcement by denouncing Trump's anti-Muslim rhetoric. "To be clear, this is bigotry, plain and simple," he told the audience. "To claim that any group of people -- immigrants or anyone else -- has anything in common with a terrorist murderer simply based on their ethnic background or religion… is dangerous and wrong."
Trump had been set to appear on Late Night at one point, but in an interview with TV Guide, Meyers explained that the 70-year-old businessman "had to cancel for a reason well within the realm of why candidates would cancel."
"So, we didn’t take it personally," Meyers added. "Since then, I’ve gotten the sense that he doesn’t want to come on my show."
On Wednesday, Trump responded by saying that it's Meyers who has been "begging" him to appear on his show.
"He has begged me to do the show for the last two years. I have told him emphatically 'no,'" Trump said in a statement released by his campaign. "I only like doing shows with good ratings, which as everybody knows, I only make better (by a lot)."