NEWS

Lin-Manuel Miranda Confirms Exit Date for 'Hamilton'

by Elisa Osegueda 10:26 AM PDT, June 16, 2016
Photo: Getty Images

Lin-Manuel Miranda has set the date for his final curtain call for Hamilton.

Miranda, who created and has starred in the musical since its debut in 2015, told reporters on Thursday he will perform his last show on July 9.

"For people who will say, 'But I'll never see Lin as Hamilton!' — yes, you will," Miranda said. "I have written this insane part that I can't seem to get tired of, that is new every night... I think this is a role I will be going back to again and again."

WATCH: Lin-Manuel Miranda Opens Up About Leaving 'Hamilton' 

Javier Muñoz, Miranda’s alternate as Alexander Hamilton in the show, will take over the role beginning July 11. "I'm so thrilled for @JMunozActor," Miranda tweeted. "We created the role together. I'm still jealous he got to perform for Jay-Z & Beyonce."

Miranda’s exit confirmation comes just days after he won two Tony Awards for his smash Broadway musical, which was nominated for a record-breaking 16 Tony Awards and walked away with a total of 11. 

"This is not the end of anything," Miranda told ET. "I built a house I can come back to any time I want, so I’m really excited about that."

NEWS: 'Hamilton' Star and Creator Lin-Manuel Miranda Reportedly Leaving Show to Focus on New Projects 

Once his Hamilton duties are over, Miranda will dive into a variety of new projects. He’s currently composing music for Disney’s animated film Moana and is also set to star opposite Emily Blunt in a movie sequel to Mary Poppins.

It was also announced this month that Miranda's musical, In the Heights, will be turned into a movie and be produced by The Weinstein Company. He previously wrote music for J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

SHARE ON FACEBOOK SHARE SHARE ON TWITTER TWEET