NEWS

Gretchen Carlson's Attorney Says There May Be More Women Coming Forward Against Roger Ailes

by Raphael Chestang 5:22 PM PDT, July 07, 2016
Playing Gretchen Carlson's Attorney Says There May Be More Women Coming Forward Against Roger Ailes

An attorney for Gretchen Carlson says the former Fox News journalist isn't the only woman claiming to have been victimized by network CEO Roger Ailes.

"I think we are at more than 10 that have reached out," Carlson's lawyer, Nancy Erika Smith, told ET. "They have called my office and they have sent emails over my website claiming that they also have been victimized by Roger Ailes."

WATCH: Gretchen Carlson Confirms Fox News Exit, Files Lawsuit

Carlson filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against Ailes earlier this week, claiming that he "sabotaged her career" because she "refused his sexual advances and complained about severe and pervasive sexual harassment."

The eight-page suit also claims that Ailes called Carlson a "man hater" who "tried to show up the boys."

Ailes denied Carlson's claims in a statement released to ET, saying, "Gretchen Carlson's allegations are false. This is a retaliatory suit for the network's decision not to renew her contract, which was due to the fact that her disappointingly low ratings were dragging down the afternoon lineup. When Fox News did not commence any negotiations to renew her contract, Ms. Carlson became aware that her career with the network was likely over and conveniently began to pursue a lawsuit. Ironically, FOX News provided her with more on-air opportunities over her 11-year tenure than any other employer in the industry, for which she thanked me in her recent book. This defamatory lawsuit is not only offensive, it is wholly without merit and will be defended vigorously."

WATCH: Gretchen Carlson Opens Up About Her Stalker Scare

Smith responded to the low-ratings claims, arguing that the network failed to promote The Real Story With Gretchen Carlson and that the program was in a difficult time slot. She also claimed that executives sent Carlson a complimentary email in May about her ratings being high.

Fox News' parent company, 21st Century Fox, has expressed that it has "full confidence" in Ailes, but is still launching an "internal review of the matter."

Prior to the lawsuit, Carlson opened up to ET during a June 2015 interview and shared the struggles she's faced as a woman in the workplace.

NEWS: Chloe Sevigny Opens Up About Sexual Harassment in Hollywood

"Sometimes when women come forward about sexual harassment they're seen as a troublemaker," she said at the time. "I'm hoping that we've come a long way in 2015. I actually always say that I have a son and a daughter, but I work more for my son, because I want him to respect women when he gets into the real world like he respects his mom right now."

SHARE ON FACEBOOK SHARE SHARE ON TWITTER TWEET