"Given all of the false media reports, I feel compelled to clarify a few points. I am not now and have never been a supporter of Donald Trump’s candidacy," the 56-year-old TV producer said in a statement to ET on Wednesday. "Further, my wife [Roma Downey] and I reject the hatred, division and misogyny that has been a very unfortunate part of his campaign."
Since the recent leak of the so-called "Trump Tape" -- which contained a vulgar and misogynistic conversation between Trump and former Access Hollywood co-host Billy Bush from 2005 -- many have called for Burnett to release unaired Apprentice footage, which some believe could potentially contain additional examples of Trump making sexually disparaging or lewd comments to women.
Earlier this week, Burnett issued a another statement explaining that he does not have the right to release said footage, whether he wanted to or not.
"Despite reports to the contrary, Mark Burnett does not have the ability nor the right to release footage or other material from The Apprentice," the previous statement said. "Various contractual and legal requirements also restrict MGM’s ability to release such material."
MGM's longtime counsel, Marvin S. Putnam of Latham & Watkins reiterated those comments in a statement released to ET on Wednesday, explaining, "MGM, not Mark Burnett, owns The Apprentice. MGM has agreements with artists across a wide spectrum of creative properties, including The Apprentice. These agreements typically contain provisions related to confidentiality and artist's rights. MGM has every intention of complying with its agreements with artists and honoring their rights, including with respect to The Apprentice."
Initial reports claimed that Burnett had threatened to sue anyone who leaked the footage, however Burnett denied such reports, stating on Monday, "The recent claims that Mark Burnett has threatened anyone with litigation if they were to leak such material are completely and unequivocally false."
In his earlier statement, Burnett also stressed that he has "consistently supported Democratic campaigns."
Trump hosted the NBC series The Apprentice for 14 seasons, from 2004 to early 2015.
On Wednesday, footage surfaced from a 1992 interview with Entertainment Tonight, showing Trump making lewd jokes towards a group of young girls. See the clip below.