Prince Harry is rumored to be off the market, but who exactly is Meghan Markle, the actress said to be romancing the red-headed royal?
Reports broke over the weekend that the 32-year-old prince is dating the 35-year-old American star, who plays Rachel Zane on USA’s Suits.
"He is very into Meghan, it's a bit of a whirlwind romance," royal expert Katie Nicholl tells ET. "They've been dating very secretly for the past three months."
“I've spoken to quite a lot of friends and the people he hangs out with over here, and there's a lot of surprise that this story has gathered so much momentum and an engagement is being spoken about,” Nicholl notes of the rumors swirling around the budding relationship. “They're saying that is way down the line.”
Here now is everything there is to know about Markle:
1. When Harry Met Meghan: The two reportedly crossed paths this past May, when Harry was in Toronto, Canada, to promote the Invictus Games. Markle films Suits there. And it seems as if things might be getting pretty serious. According to People, Harry has already introduced Markle to his father, Prince Charles.
2. She Has Been Traveling to London a Lot Lately: Sure, none of her Instagram shots actually have Harry in them but there certainly have been a number of pictures from her travels across the pond over the past four months.
3. She’s Down to Earth: “When she’s not working, she’s totally a ‘jeans and tee’ kind of girl,” a source tells ET. ”She’s way more into having a low-key night in than going out to party. She’s very smart, hardworking, and incredibly sweet.”
4. How She Describes Herself: “I'm an actress, a writer, the editor-in-chief of my lifestyle brand The Tig, a pretty good cook, and a firm believer in handwritten notes,” she told Elle UK in a recent interview. Her bio on Instagram mirrors this description.
5. She’s a UN Women Advocate: “I spoke about this in a speech I gave for International Women’s Day with UN Women just two years ago. It is a testament to the fighting spirit I had as a young girl, and the responsibility I now feel as a grown woman; and even more so as an actress. The moment Suits became successful and I realized people (especially young women) were listening to what I had to say,” she wrote on her site, The Tig.
6. She’s Been Married Before: Markle married Trevor Engelson, a film producer, in 2011 before divorcing two years later. “I think being a divorcee is more an issue when it comes to potentially marrying Prince Harry than being an actress who has filmed, shall we say, some racy scenes in the past,” Nicholl tells ET.
7. She Has No Interest in a Cinderella Story: "With fame comes opportunity, but in my opinion, it also includes responsibility – to advocate and share, to focus less on glass slippers and more on pushing through glass ceilings, and if I’m lucky enough – then to inspire,” Markle writes.
8. She graduated From Northwestern University in 2003: Markle was a Communications major and didn’t forget her alma mater after making it as an actress. She returned to the Chicago campus in 2014 for a panel discussion. “It’s my alma mater, so I’m really happy to be back here,” she said at the time.
9. Other Places You Have Seen Her on the Big and Small Screen: While Markle is best known for her TV role on Suits, she has also made appearances on General Hospital, 90210, The League, and Castle along with such films as Horrible Bosses and Remember Me.
10. She is Biracial: “My dad is Caucasian, and my mom is African American. I'm half black and half white,” she tells Elle UK. “Being biracial paints a blurred line that is equal parts staggering and illuminating. At the end of season two, the producers [of Suits] went a step further and cast the role of Rachel's father as a dark-skinned African-American man, played by the brilliant Wendell Pierce.”
11. She Grew Up In Los Angeles: Markle was raised on the West Coast but currently resides in Toronto with her dogs, which she adopted, while filming Suits. “It was the late '70s when my parents met. My dad was a lighting director for a soap opera, and my mom was a temp at the studio. They moved into a house in The Valley in LA, to a neighborhood that was leafy and affordable,” she shares with Elle UK.
12. Her Suits Co-Stars Have Hollywood relationships: Patrick J. Adams is dating Pretty Little Liars star Troian Bellisario while Gabriel Macht is married to actress Jacinda Barrett.
13. She Has a Clothing Collection for Reitmans: “For me, in putting the whole collection together, it’s a reflection of where I’ve come from,” she said of the collection for the Canadian retailer. “I’ve always shopped on the sale rack and I’ve always been the girl flipping through the hangers trying to find the best deal. And now, being able to say, wow, this has my name on it and is at a price point that I think is really approachable and I’m proud to say a lot of people can afford. (Hmm, something for her to bond with Kate Middleton over?)
WATCH: Kate Middleton Makes a Style Statement in $30 Pants from the Gap