Brad Pitt has been cleared of child abuse allegations by the Department of Child and Family Services, ET can confirm.
“It wasn’t clearly founded that there was any abuse by Pitt,” the source tells ET, emphasizing that there was no validation or proof of abuse and the investigation is now closed.
In a statement to ET, Angelina Jolie expressed relief that the investigation had concluded.
“The job of the DCFS is to make sure the children are in a safe and secure situation," the statement read. "As we said earlier this week, childcare professionals encouraged a legal agreement accepted and signed by both sides that was in the best interest of the children. Angelina said from the beginning that she felt she had to take action for the health of the family and is relieved that after their 8-week involvement, the DCFS is now satisfied the safeguards are put in place that will allow the children to heal.”
The DCFS launched the investigation in September after they were alerted to an alleged incident between Pitt and his 15-year-old son, Maddox, while on a plane back to the U.S. from Europe. While it remains unclear what transpired between the two, a source at the time told ET that “there was no inappropriate physical contact."
"Nothing inappropriate happened,” the source said. “[It was] totally a child-parent disagreement."
In September, both 41-year-old Jolie and 52-year-old Pitt agreed to a DCFS safety plan -- a temporary custody agreement over their six children -- which is standard practice in any ongoing child welfare investigation. Jolie and Pitt each volunteered to participate in individual counseling, and Pitt also agreed to undergo drug and alcohol testing, though he was not required to, sources told ET.
Jolie and Pitt have also come to their own custody plan. On Monday, a representative for Jolie told ET that Jolie and Pitt's children -- 15-year-old Maddox, 12-year-old Pax, 11-year-old Zahara, 10-year-old Shiloh, and 8-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne -- will remain in the actress' custody. "Childcare professionals have encouraged a legal agreement accepted and signed by both sides over a week ago," the rep said in a statement. "In accordance with this agreement, the six children will stay in their mother's custody, and the children will continue therapeutic visits with their father. This has been determined by childcare professionals to be in the children’s best interest.”
However, sources tell ET that the agreement is only temporary until the two are able to work out a more permanent child custody settlement. On Friday, Pitt filed his response to Jolie’s divorce petition and requested joint custody. Jolie initially requested full custody in her filing in September.
Another source also told ET that Pitt has voluntarily chosen to have supervised visits with his kids, because he believes that it is what's best for them. "His visits are monitored voluntarily because he has agreed to go out of his way for the kids," the source said.
Jolie and Pitt actually spoke directly to reach the new custody agreement, a source told ET.
“This is what Brad and Angelina have decided between each other for the children,” one source said. “The agreement is also indefinite, so there is no time frame to it, it is in place until they decide to make a change."
--Additional reporting by Whitney Wallace and Carolyn Greenspan
For more on Jolie and Pitt's custody battle, watch the video below: