Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s court battle got even more contentious on Wednesday, as the actor was denied an emergency hearing
in an attempt to seal all documents related to the former couple’s custody case.
Now, a source familiar with Jolie’s camp has slammed her ex’s request as a “PR scam.”
"The only parent who repeatedly puts these children at risk is Brad,” the source claims, though Pitt has been cleared of all abuse allegations by both the FBI and the Department of Children and Family Services.
“In his desperate request to repair his media image he has once again slighted his family,” the source continued. “A party who seeks to keep things private either opts not to file the documents with the court or to file them under seal. Brad’s emergency request today was a PR scam and it backfired. The judge as much told him that he doesn't get to be treated specially just because he's a movie star.”
Another source told ET that Pitt filed the motion to seal the documents “because he wants to keep this custody battle out of the public eye to protect his children. Privacy is beneficial to the entire family.” Neither Pitt nor Jolie were in court on Wednesday.
"They are complaining because Brad's team filed a request for confidentiality to stop them from leaking confidential materials," the source continued. "Angie's team are the ones responsible for this becoming public and for keeping it in the public eye by following up with on-the-record statements and filings to keep fueling the fire [which is] all to the detriment of the entire family. All therapists agree that keeping this private is critically important for the children and yet they continue to oppose efforts to do so."
Jolie and Pitt had previously agreed to a temporary custody stipulation on Oct. 26. On Monday, the agreement – which outlined the family’s therapy schedule and Pitt’s random drug and alcohol testing – went public when Jolie filed it with the courts.