NEWS

Shia LaBeouf's Anti-Trump Art Project Shut Down After Creating 'Serious Public Safety Hazards'

by Elisa Osegueda 11:50 AM PST, February 10, 2017
Photo: Getty Images

Shia LaBeouf's anti-Trump art project has been shut down.

Last month, the 30-year-old actor teamed up with the Museum of Moving Image in Queens, New York, to create the “He Will Not Divide Us” art installation aimed to protest President Donald Trump. But after experiencing disruptive protests since its opening, the museum announced on Friday its decision to terminate the project.

NEWS: Shia LaBeouf Launches a Four-Year Livestream in Protest of President Donald Trump

"The installation created a serious and ongoing public safety hazard for the Museum, its visitors, staff, local residents, and businesses," the Museum of Moving Image said in statement. "The installation had become a flashpoint for violence and was disrupted from its original intent."

"While the installation began constructively, it deteriorated markedly after one of the artists was arrested on the site of the installation and ultimately necessitated this action," the statement continued, citing LaBeouf's arrest on Jan. 25 after allegedly attacking a 25-year-old male at a protest.

"Over the course of the installation, there have been dozens of threats of violence and numerous arrests, such that police felt compelled to be stationed outside the installation 24 hours a day, seven days a week," the statement read. "We are proud to have launched this engaging and thought-provoking digital art installation which was experienced by millions of online viewers worldwide."

RELATED: Matthew McConaughey Says ‘It’s Time for Us to Embrace’ President Donald Trump

LaBeouf, who co-created the project with artists Nastja Säde Rönkkö and Luke Turner, turned to social media upon hearing the news. "The museum has abandoned us," he shared on Twitter. 

"HEWILLNOTDIVIDE.US generated an important conversation allowing interaction among people from many backgrounds and with different viewpoints. However, ending our engagement with the installation is the most prudent path forward to restore public safety to the Museum, its visitors, staff, and the community," the statement concluded.

LaBeouf is among a long list of A-list celebrities who have publicly criticized Trump. For more on recent protests, watch the video below.

SHARE ON FACEBOOK SHARE SHARE ON TWITTER TWEET