They say everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day, but if you want to score some extra points with those who hail from the Emerald Isle, learn these phrases!
Find out what they mean below:
1. Phrase: “Sure, it's grand.”
Decoded: It’s fine (sometimes meant with sarcasm).
2. Phrase: What’s the craic?
Decoded: What’s up? What’s going on? Also, “craic” can refer to great fun.
3. Phrase: “That’s gas.”
Decoded: Really funny.
4. Phrase: “Last night was deadly.”
Decoded: Best time of your life.
5. Phrase: “We're just going out for one.”
Decoded: We most likely be out for many.
6. Phrase: “That yoke over there."
Decoded: Literally a word in place of any item, person or thing.
7. Phrase: “Acting the maggot.”
Decoded: You’re acting, well, foolish.
8. Phrase: “Go away, will ya?”
Decoded: I don't believe it.
9. Phrase: Sláinte!
Decoded: Irish Gaelic for “Cheers.”