5 Things You Don't Know About Melissa McCarthy
May 20, 2013
She was nominated for an Oscar for her scene-stealing performance in the comedy Bridesmaids and won an Emmy for her work alongside Billy Gardell in the CBS sitcom Mike & Molly -- which debuts its season finale tonight. Here are five things you probably don't know about Melissa McCarthy.
1. Born a farmer's daughter in Plainfield, IL on August 26, 1970.
2. Cousin of actress and former Playboy model Jenny McCarthy.
3. Studied clothing and textiles in college with the goal of becoming a fashion designer, but eventually dropped out of school to pursue stand-up comedy. She has plans to launch her own plus-size clothing line.
4. Met her actor husband Ben Falcone at The Groundlings improv group in Los Angeles.
5. Got her big TV break in 2000 when she landed the role of the loveable control freak Sookie St. James on Gilmore Girls.