5 Things You Don't Know About Kerry Washington
September 18, 2013
This star of the hit ABC political drama Scandal was just named the World's Best Dressed Woman by People magazine and recently revealed that she had tied the knot with NFL football player Nnamdi Asomugha. Here are five things you may not know about Kerry Washington!
1. Born January 31, 1977 in The Bronx, NYC -- her mother was a professor and educational consultant and her father worked as a real estate broker.
2. Earned a Presidential Arts Scholarship to attend George Washington University and graduated Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa from the school in 1998 with a degree in Performance Studies. After she gave the commencement address her earlier this year at her alma mater, she was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Fine Arts.
3. Her showbiz career quickly took off after her role in the 2001 film Save the Last Dance, for which she received a Teen Choice Award for Best Breakout Performance.
4. Has played the wife of Jamie Foxx in two movies, the 2004 Ray Charles biopic Ray and in last year's Django Unchained.
5. Has said she tries to keep a small memento to remind her of each character she portrays, such as an item of wardrobe or piece of furniture from the house her character lived in.