With Mother’s Day coming our way, we’re getting a jump-start by honoring the TV moms we wish were our own!
There's moms who love, nurture and protect their children, and then there's Beverly Goldberg who takes the term "smother" to a whole other level.
The ultimate matriarch of ABC's '80s sitcom The Goldbergs, Beverly can't help but overly love her children, to an absurd extent. Which means she'll do just about anything for her kids, even if that means making a fool of herself.
"She is the ultimate smother, but you know what? She's not wrong," star Wendi McLendon-Covey told ETonline on The Goldbergs set. "If I had kids I'd probably be the exact same way. Don't apologize for loving your children."
McLendon-Covey brilliantly channels the unbridled affection of Beverly (who is based on series creator/show runner Adam Goldberg's actual mother) and explained that the character just can't control herself when it comes to the happiness of her children.
"She does mean well," she said. "Everything is driven by love."
Here's just a few more reasons why Beverly Goldberg is one of our favorite moms on television.
1. She loves a good family photo.
2. You can hear her sweaters from space.
3. She commands respect with her big hair.
4. She can keep up with her kids!
5. Who needs an "evil food box" like a microwave? Mom can cook!
6. She may be embarrassing at times... (all moms are!)
7. But she's always got her children's best interest at heart.
An all-new episode of The Goldbergs airs Wednesday night at 8:30 p.m./ 7:30c on ABC.
Follow Denny on Twitter: @DDirecto.