Nathan Fillion Reacts to Stana Katic's Shocking 'Castle' Exit: 'She Will Be Missed'

by Leanne Aguilera 10:30 AM PDT, April 19, 2016
Playing Nathan Fillion Reacts to Stana Katic's Shocking 'Castle' Exit: 'She Will Be Missed'

Listen up, Caskett fans -- Nathan Fillion is breaking his silence on Stana Katic's shocking Castle departure!

On Monday, it was announced that the 37-year-old actress, who has played Detective Kate Beckett since 2009, will not be returning to the crime drama if there is indeed a ninth season.

Fillion took to Twitter on Tuesday morning to share his feelings about his on-screen wife's departure.

"Castle has been one of the greatest joys of my creative life, and I hope the show continues on for years to come," the actor wrote.

Although a ninth season has yet to be confirmed, Fillion is in negotiations to return as mystery writer Richard Castle in a shortened final season.

MORE: ‘Castle’ Cuts Star Stana Katic From Season 9 -- Read the Upset Tweets!

"Stana has been my partner all this time and I thank her for creating the character of Beckett who will live on for all of us as one of the greatest police officers on television," he added. "I wish her well, and have no doubt she will succeed in everything she pursues. She will be missed."

According to Deadline, the decision for Katic and her Castle co-star, Tamala Jones, to leave the series was made by ABC and ABC Studios.

“Kate Beckett has been a beloved character on our hit series Castle for the past eight years," ABC said in a statement to ET. "We are grateful for Stana Katic’s talent and dedication to the series and we hope to continue our relationship."

The news of this cast shake-up has sparked an outrage with both the Castle fans, as well as with those closest to the show.

MORE: Ray Romano Remembers His Late On-Screen Mother Doris Roberts

Castle creators and real-life spouses Andrew Marlowe and Terri Edda Miller, who stepped down as showrunners last year, also expressed their shock on Twitter. Marlowe wrote, "Heartbroken. There are no words. #nmc."

Katic has yet to speak out on social media about her exit from the show, but the fan-favorite actress released a statement on the matter.

"Rather than distract from what was an amazing experience I would just like to say that I'm very grateful to ABC for giving me the opportunity to be a part of a much beloved show. Thank you to the fans," she said.

Will you continue to watch Castle without Kate Beckett? Do you think there should be a season nine? Share your thoughts with @ETnow on Twitter!