Cheryl Burke Pulls Out as Miss USA Co-Host in Wake of Donald Trump's Anti-Immigration Comments
By Rosalyn Oshmyansky
Cheryl Burke is backing out of her role at the upcoming Miss USA pageant.
The Dancing With the Stars pro announced on Tuesday that she will no longer be co-hosting this year's pageant with MSNBC's Thomas Roberts due to the controversial comments about Mexican immigrants made by Donald Trump, who is a part owner of the Miss Universe Organization.
"In light of the recent statements made by Donald Trump and the subsequent decision by NBC to cut ties with Mr. Trump, I cannot in good conscience move forward with participating in this year's Miss USA Pageant as its co-host," Burke said in a statement. "Effective today I have withdrawn from my duties with Miss USA. Although I will not be there in person, I wish all of the contestants much luck as I know how hard they've all been working over the last year to try and realize their dreams."
In a statement released to ET on Monday, the company wrote, "At NBC, respect and dignity for all people are cornerstones of our values. Due to the recent derogatory statements by Donald Trump regarding immigrants, NBCUniversal is ending its business relationship with Mr. Trump."
The controversy began when Trump, while announcing his presidential bid on June 16, said, "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists."
Meanwhile, the Trump Organization said in a statement to ET on Monday, "Mr. Trump stands by his statements on illegal immigration, which are accurate. NBC is weak, and like everybody else is trying to be politically correct -- that is why our country is in serious trouble."
Check out the video below for more on the growing backlash against Trump.