Prince's Autopsy Will Be Conducted on Friday, Reportedly Suffered Drug Overdose Days Before Death

This video is unavailable because we were unable to load a message from our sponsors.

If you are using ad-blocking software, please disable it and reload the page.

As police continue to investigate the shocking death of Prince, the body of the legendary singer has been received by the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office in Ramsey, Minnesota, for an autopsy to be conducted on Friday.

The music icon, whose full name was Prince Rogers Nelson, was found unresponsive in an elevator on Thursday when officers from the Carver County Sheriff’s Department responded to a call at his Paisley Park Studios in Chanhassen, Minnesota, at 9:43 a.m.

EXCLUSIVE: Inside Prince's Final Days -- a 'Mellow' Record Store Trip and 'High Energy' Performance

"When deputies and medical personnel arrived, they found an unresponsive adult male in the elevator," Carver County Sheriff Jim Olson said in a statement. "First responders attempted to provide lifesaving CPR, but were unable to revive the victim. He was pronounced deceased at 10:07 a.m. He has been identified as Prince Rogers Nelson of Chanhassen."

A transcript of the 911 call was released by the Carver County Sheriff’s Office on Thursday, in which an unnamed male caller identified Prince and stated that the singer was “already dead.”

The seven-time GRAMMY winner's rep also confirmed the news of his death to ET on Thursday, saying, "It is with profound sadness that I am confirming that the legendary, iconic performer, Prince Rogers Nelson, has died at his Paisley Park residence this morning at the age of 57. There are no further details as to the cause of death at this time."

EXCLUSIVE: Mariah Carey Reacts to Prince's Death: 'I'll Never Get Over It'

The tragic news comes just one week after a private jet carrying the singer was forced to make an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois, where Prince was rushed to a nearby hospital and treated for the flu. A rep for the singer confirmed at the time that Prince had been flown home and was recovering after a brief hospitalization.

However, TMZ reported on Thursday that the reason for the emergency landing was actually because the singer was suffering a drug overdose, and was rushed to the hospital for a “save shot,” typically administered to counteract the effects of opiates.

Days later, Prince took the stage at a dance party at his Paisley Park estate in Chanhassen, Minnesota. He didn’t sing for the crowd at the Saturday event, but did show off a new purple Yamaha piano and purple-and-gold custom guitar.

An eyewitness told ET at the time that "no one needs to worry about Prince," adding, "He was quick-witted and had high energy as usual!"

WATCH: Celebs React to Prince's Death: Read Touching Tributes From Carmen Electra, Katy Perry, Madonna and More

Related Gallery