They say everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day, but if you want to score some extra points with those who hail from the Emerald Isle, learn these phrases!
MORE: 9 Reasons You Should Never Pinch Someone on St. Patrick's Day
Find out what they mean below:
1. Phrase: “Sure, it's grand.”
Decoded: It’s fine (sometimes meant with sarcasm).
2. Phrase: What’s the craic?
Decoded: What’s up? What’s going on? Also, “craic” can refer to great fun.
3. Phrase: “That’s gas.”
Decoded: Really funny.
4. Phrase: “Last night was deadly.”
Decoded: Best time of your life.
5. Phrase: “We're just going out for one.”
Decoded: We most likely be out for many.
6. Phrase: “That yoke over there."
Decoded: Literally a word in place of any item, person or thing.
7. Phrase: “Acting the maggot.”
Decoded: You’re acting, well, foolish.
8. Phrase: “Go away, will ya?”
Decoded: I don't believe it.
9. Phrase: Sláinte!
Decoded: Irish Gaelic for “Cheers.”