Which red carpet is your favorite?
If you said the Academy Awards or MTV Video Music Awards, that's cute, but you're wrong. Your favorite red carpet is the Met Gala, because it's the only red carpet that matters. It's an occasion to see stars wearing ensembles they could never get away with at any other awards show or black-tie event -- for better or worse.
As we prepare for this year's event -- and all the looks inspired by the theme, "Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons: Art of the In-Between" -- look back on 20 of the most outrageous fashion choices that could only happen at the Met Gala.
WATCH: Met Gala Documentary, ‘The First Monday in May,’ Goes Inside the Super Bowl of Fashion
1. Madonna in Givenchy (2016)
In the ever-present debate between showing T or A, the Material Girl chooses...both, giving you Regina George in the front and butt cheeks in the back.
2. Kanye West in Balmain (2016)
If you can look past Kim K.'s disco ball boobs and Yeezy's bedazzled jean jacket -- somehow, if you can look beyond all of that -- his contacts will haunt you for the rest of your life.
3. Rihanna in Guo Pei (2015)
A non-comprehensive list of things Rihanna looked like at the Met Gala: An omelet, a cheese pizza, Big Bird. Basically: Iconic.
4. Miley Cyrus in Marc Jacobs (2013)
The most shocking thing about this take on "Punk: Chaos to Couture" is that Miley didn't stick out her tongue once on the red carpet.
5. Madonna in Louis Vuitton (2009)
That year's theme was "The Model as Muse: Embodying Fashion," and, yeah, we don't really know what that means either, Madge.
6. Kim Kardashian in Givenchy (2013)
Mrs. Doubtfire realness. 7. Beyoncé in Givenchy (2015)
Queen B looking like the fiercest Mortal Kombat character ever. K.O. FINISH HIM!
8. Solange in Giles Deacon (2015)
And Solange looking like a shield. Her commentary on 2014's
PHOTOS: Look Back on All the Stars Arriving at the 2015 Met Gala
9. Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen in Chanel and Christian Dior Haute Couture (2013)
Seems about right.
10. Nicole Richie in Topshop (2013)
Spray-painted hair apparently makes anything punk.
11. Katy Perry in CuteCircuit (2010)
12. Florence Welch in Alexander McQueen (2012)
For anyone else, this dress would be avant-garde Met Gala couture. For Flo Welch, it's a Monday.
13. Karolina Kurkova in Rachel Zoe (2012)
Just make every year's theme "Eleganza Extravaganza" and leave us gagging.
14. Anne Hathaway in Valentino (2013)
Remember when Anne Hathaway played Catwoman? If she has her way, YOU'LL NEVER FORGET.
MORE: Filming the Met Ball: How Andrew Rossi Captured Candid Celeb Moments From Inside the Event
15. Lady Gaga in Balenciaga (2015)
Dress is "China: Through the Looking Glass." Eyebrows are emoji.
16. Amber Valletta in a Maggie Norris (2004)
Would it surprise you to learn the theme had absolutely nothing to do with Marie Antoinette?
17. Lupita Nyong’o in Prada (2014)
No disrespect to Chloë Grace Moretz, but this is the live-action
Little Mermaid we want to see.
18. Katie Holmes in Marchesa (2014)
No disrespect to Katie Holmes, but this is not the live-action
Beauty & the Beast we want to see.
19. Sarah Jessica Parker in Alexander McQueen (2006), Giles Deacon (2013) and Philip Treacy (2015)
It's impossible to pick SJP's most iconic Met Gala look. SJP is the Met Gala. (And if her headdresses keep getting bigger every year, we will absolutely tune in when it's 2025.)
20. Anna Wintour in Chanel Haute Couture (2008)
Say hello to your new supreme overlord, Space Admiral Anna Andromeda.
All right, ladies, now let's get in formation: check out Beyoncé and Jay Z's most fashionable moments as the queen and king of the Met Gala below.