But even though 2016 did it's darnedest to bring us down, we persevered through the power of human spirit, uplifting stories and fun internet videos.
Here are 12 things that helped put a smile on our face that we'll be riding into the new year.
1. The Iguana That Got Away From the Snakes on 'Planet Earth 2'
If that little creature can make it against all odds, so can we!
2. The Mannequin Challenge
That meme was a real crowd-pleaser!
The scowl that got us grinning, and showed firsthand why we're just not driven enough to be Olympic gold medalists.
4. Chris Pratt Cutting Jennifer Lawrence Out of His Selfies
Friends who crop each other <3 each other.
5. Oh, and Also When They Traded Insults With Each Other, Too
The Passengers co-stars really have a knack for tearing each other to pieces.
6. Beyonce and Mariah Carey Making It a Family Affair With Blue Ivy, Monroe and Moroccan
Too much legendary in the same place at the same time.
7. Ciara and Russell Wilson Consummating Things
Maybe a little TMI, but it's hard to not give it up for a happily ever after.
8. Swizz Beatz's Epic Swizz Post-VMA Photo
Alicia Keys, Jay Z, Beyonce, Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, Diddy and Cassie, in one room, having a hell of a time.
9. Chris Evans Does the 22-Pushup Challenge, and His Dog Won't Stop Licking His Face
We cannot handle all this puppy love.
10. Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Adorable Daughter, Luna
Bringing the world cuteness overload since Apr. 14, 2016!
11. Kanye West's McDonald's Poem for Frank Ocean's 'Boys Don't Cry'
We adored it with all our hearts and our artificial meat eyes.
We don't deserve you. Thank you in advance for making our 2017 infinitely more adorable.
What lifted you up about 2016? Let us know on Twitter at @etnow