She was nominated for an Oscar for her scene-stealing performance in the comedy Bridesmaids and won an Emmy for her work alongside Billy Gardell in the CBS sitcom Mike & Molly.Here are five things you probably don't know about Melissa McCarthy.
1. Born a farmer's daughter in Plainfield, IL on August 26, 1970.
RELATED PICS: Star Sightings
2. Cousin of actress and former Playboy model Jenny McCarthy.
3. Studied clothing and textiles in college with the goal of becoming a fashion designer, but eventually dropped out of school to pursue stand-up comedy. She has plans to launch her own plus-size clothing line.
RELATED VIDEO: Mike & Molly Stars Preview 'Stormy' Finale
4. Met her actor husband Ben Falcone at The Groundlings improv group in Los Angeles.
5. Got her big TV break in 2000 when she landed the role of the loveable control freak Sookie St. James on Gilmore Girls.
RELATED VIDEO: McCarthy & Bullock Trade Quips in Sin City