Tis the season… to celebrate the 2015 Golden Globe nominations!
In case you we're sleeping (consider us extremely jealous) the full list of Golden Globe nominees was revealed this morning. Among the acting elite in the TV categories there were plenty of snubs and surprises that we need to discuss immediately. (And for all the movie buffs out there, take a look at our big screen edition of snubs and surprises.)
Let's rave about these surprises:
1. Jane the Virgin: We've been in love with this show from the very beginning so to see The CW's freshman comedy snag a nod is beyond thrilling — especially since the series' captivating star Gina Rodriguez also made the ballot for Lead Actress in a Comedy. FYI, this is a huge deal for The CW as these nominations mark the first Globe mentions for the network since its debut in 2006.
2. Transparent: We were a little worried the HFPA wouldn't recognize Jeffrey Tambor's sheer brilliance in Amazon's Transparent, but we're happy to see that both Tambor and the critically acclaimed drama earned two well-deserved spots in the nominations.
3. Best Comedy: Tootles, Modern Family and adios, The Big Bang Theory! In a refreshing twist, these two heavy hitters were shunned from this year's Best Comedy line-up. To make matters even more jaw-dropping, multi-award winners Jim Parsons, Ty Burrell and Julie Bowen were also not nominated in their respective categories. Ouch.
Let's rant but these snubs:
1. Julia Roberts: Despite winning three Golden Globes in the past, the big-screen beauty was not rewarded with a nomination for her small screen role in HBO's The Normal Heart. And while we think that True Detective's Michelle Monaghan was perfectly fine in her role, we don’t think it was enough to steal a nomination from Robert's sensational performance.
2. Tatiana Maslany: Once again we're beyond devastated that BBC America's Orphan Black was not given any award show love, and the fact that the incomparable Maslany was snubbed from the Lead Actress in a Drama category is heart-breaking. She has played over 11 different characters, people! Thank goodness she received a SAG nomination or else would would've gone full Helena on some poor unsuspecting bystander.
3. Parks and Recreation: The fact that the beloved NBC series was once again snubbed from the Best Comedy list makes us want to cry into our waffles. Adding insult to injury, Amy Poehler didn’t even land a nomination despite the fact that she won last year.
What were you biggest TV snubs and shockers from the 2015 Golden Globe nominees? Shout out your thoughts on twitter using #ETNow, and make sure you keep it locked to ETonline's Awards Page for all your latest Golden Globe updates!
The 72nd annual Golden Globes airs Sunday, Jan. 11, 2015 on NBC.