13 Amazing BTS Things We Learned About 'Reputation' From Taylor Swift's Listening Sessions
By Katie Krause
Only a few hundred fans in the world heard Reputation ahead of its release.
Taylor Swift invited these handpicked Swifties into her homes in London, Rhode Island, Los Angeles and Nashville – where not only did they hear the singer’s sixth studio album before today's release date, they also mingled with her family and friends and had candid conversations with her about the new music.
Inside Taylor Swift's Los Angeles 'Reputation' Pop-Up
1. Taylor had a very clear vision for how she wanted her playful diss track, “This Is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things,” to sound. Some fans think the song takes aim at an ex-pal in verse one and at Kanye West in verse two, but it actually might be geared towards the media.
okay BUT taylor said she wanted “this is why we can’t have nice things” to sound like kids singing/chanting on the playground bc she felt like the whole situation was like dealing with children
taylor said she wanted to share what she has with everyone, so she threw big parties n invited people up on stage .. but then the media was like “why does she want attention all the time?? why does she need a squad??” and made her trying to do something nice/share look bad
2. Even Taylor’s parents, Scott and Andrea, blush at the steaminess of “Dress.” And with lyrics like “I don’t want you like a best friend, only bought this dress so you could take it off” and “I’m spilling wine in the bathtub, you kiss my face and we’re both drunk," we understand. Taylor gets it, too.
Scott was full on blushing the entire time during Dress, so that's that fam.
5. Taylor’s explanation of “New Year’s Day” is cute AF.
taylor was telling us about how everyone thinks the new year’s eve kiss at midnight is so romantic but that she thought that the person who stayed to help you clean up after all the romance was gone was even more romantic
6. And she’s apparently been holding onto the lyrics of that song for a while now.
also just in case anyone hasn't said this yet......"hold onto the memories they will hold onto you" and "please don't ever become a stranger whose laugh I can recognize anywhere" are lyrics she has been sitting on for years and finally found the right place for them on NYD
taylor was so proud of “please don’t ever become a stranger who’s laugh i i could recognise anywhere” and “hold on to the memories, they will hold onto you” bc they were from poems she’d written and she was saving them up for something special!!!!!!!!!
13. And brace yourselves, Swifties. Before taping the ABC performance of “New Year’s Day,” Taylor played fan-favorite “All Too Well” for the Rhode Island crowd to get them in the mood. #Jealous.
Ok well I guess it's not as special lol but Taylor also played all too well for us (RI night 2) & we gathered around her at the piano & screamed and cried the lyrics all together. It's something that I'll never forget. It was beautiful and honestly, it was everything 😭