Aziz Ansari Returns to the Stage Months After Allegation of Inappropriate Sexual Behavior
By Jennifer Drysdale
Aziz Ansari is back on the stage.
The Master of None star performed multiple comedy sets in New York City last week, the first time he's taken the stage for a performance since being accused of inappropriate sexual behavior in January. In a statement to ET at the time, Ansari said his interaction with the woman "by all indications was completely consensual."
Ansari appeared at the Comedy Cellar in NYC from Wednesday through Sunday, including during the club's Mother's Day show -- though he wasn't advertised. He reportedly covered a wide range of topics, but it's unclear if the allegation ever came up.
Ansari has laid low since the allegation surfaced against him in January, and skipped the 2018 SAG Awards. In a March interview with Vanity Fair, Ansari's Master of None co-star Lena Waithe addressed the claim that the woman felt "violated" after her encounter with the actor.
"At the end of the day, what I would hope comes out of this is that we as a society educate ourselves about what consent is -- what it looks like, what it feels like, what it sounds like," she said. "I think there are both men and women who are still trying to figure it out. We need to be more attuned to each other, pay more attention to each other, in every scenario, and really make sure that, whatever it is we’re doing with someone else, they’re comfortable doing whatever that thing is, and that we’re doing it together. That’s just human kindness and decency."