ET gets to know nine first-time acting nominees to find out what made them such standouts this past TV season.
Every year, the Primetime Emmy Awards recognize the best of the past TV season, including the actors that bring the words and characters to life on our screens. This year, there are 121 performers nominated in the 21 acting and hosting categories that will be given out at the 70th Emmy Awards (and Creative Arts Emmy Awards). Among them are a number of first-time nominees, both newcomers and veterans in the business, who finally broke through with the Television Academy.
With the voting period now underway, ET got to know nine of this year’s first-time acting nominees, including a married couple making history, a longtime singer, a newcomer to the screen, a Marvel breakout, two actors in transformative roles and two actors finally nominated after seasons of snubs.
Meet the Emmy class of 2018!
- Cameron Britton, Mindhunter
- Issa Rae, Insecure
- Jimmi Simpson, Westworld
- Kelly Jenrette, The Handmaid’s Tale & Melvin Jackson Jr., This Eddie Murphy Role Is Mine, Not Yours
- Letitia Wright, Black Mirror (“Black Museum”)
- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Game of Thrones
- Ricky Martin, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
- Yvonne Strahovski, The Handmaid's Tale
The 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, co-hosted by Saturday Night Live’s Colin Jost and Michael Che, will air live from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles on Monday, Sept. 17, starting at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT on NBC. Check out the full list of nominees and ET’s ongoing Emmy coverage here.