Whether your guy needs a spring overhaul, a simple wardrobe refresh, or wants to stay ahead of the fashion curve, luxury sportswear designers and celebrity stylists, Ashley Sean Thomas and Ainsley Thomas, gave ET insight as to which styles men should be wearing this season. The twin brothers run a clothing line, Bad Penny Collection, and have been working in the industry for more than a decade.
Here are five tips to keep your guy on trend:
1. Start with the basics. Dressing well begins with a strong foundation. From grooming to finding the right fit, it’s the small details that make a huge difference.
“He has to have a good barber… a good tailor… and then, a perfect pair of shoes. You have to start with the essentials,” Ashley Sean says.
2. Say yes to white jeans. White denim may seem like a questionable style choice for men, but when fashion forward stars like Jared Leto, Kanye West, and Drake are sporting the clean, minimal look it makes for a desirable wardrobe choice. The Thomas brothers suggest that your guy be selective with the top he chooses to pair with it.
“You don't really want to wear too much of an open chest with white jeans," Ainsley says.
You can do a little denim top with it. You can even do a blazer with it. Black blazer, denim top, white jeans, that's a cool crisp look,” Ashley Sean recommends.
3. Make a statement with outerwear. Every man should have a good trench coat, blazer and statement jacket. He can update classic styles like topping with a suede trench, or give blazers a new meaning like Ne-Yo and wear bright multi-colored jacket to the beach.
4. Embrace mesh. The sports luxe trend is dominating menswear with mesh fabrics being incorporated in everything from tees and knits to bomber jackets and shorts.
“I love how they’re mixing mesh with everything. Mesh with fleece, mesh with soft leathers. I love that trend,” Ainsley raves.
5. Add flair to the denim on denim trend. Double up on denim like Cody Simpson, Kevin Hart, and David Beckham by mixing light and dark washes. The Bad Penny designers say there is a multitude of ways to reinvent the classic look.
Ashley Sean advises, “vests, motorcycle jackets, there’s an array of things you can do. Great boots, mix it with that instead of the ordinary tennis shoe."
It doesn’t have to be the same color denim. It can be a black denim shirt with blue denim jeans,” Ainsley suggests.