'House of Cards' to Resume Production Without Kevin Spacey

By
Kevin Spacey House of Cards
Paul Morigi/Getty Images For Netflix

House of Cards will go on without Kevin Spacey in the role of Francis Underwood.

ET has learned that the Netflix series will resume production early next year on the eight episodes of the sixth and final season of the series without the program's leading man.

Last month, the streaming service announced that they no longer wanted to be involved in "any further production of House of Cards" that included Spacey after he was accused of sexual assault and misconduct by several men.

On Monday, Netflix's chief content officer Ted Sarandos revealed to Variety that the final season of House of Cards will now star Robin Wright, who portrays Francis Underwood's politically savvy estranged wife, Claire. "We were really excited we could get to an agreement… for the conclusion of the show," he told the trade publication.

Sarandos also spoke with Deadline, and said that he hopes to "bring closure of the show for fans."

Initial allegations of sexual misconduct were leveraged against Spacey by Star Trek: Discovery actor Anthony Rapp in October. In an interview with Buzzfeed, Rapp claimed that Spacey came on to him in 1986, when he was just 14 years old. Since then, eight current and former House of Cards employees have come forward claiming that Spacey created a "toxic" work environment on set. He has also been accused of sexual misconduct and assault by several other men.

Through his lawyer, Spacey has denied all these allegations.

The 58-year-old actor has kept a low-profile since these allegations came out. At the start of November, a source told ET that Spacey "has not been communicating with people in his inner circle" and has "been MIA."

"He realizes how terrible this is and he knows the chances of him getting good work in this town again are very slim," the source continued. 

Here's more on the allegations against the star:

RELATED CONTENT: