5 Things You Don't Know About Oprah Winfrey
This former talk queen and media mogul marks her return to the big screen after 15 years in Lee Daniels' The Butler and recently made headlines for a shopping incident in Switzerland in which she said a sales associated refused to show her a handbag she was interested in. Here are five facts you probably don't know about Oprah Winfrey.
1. Owes her name to a spelling error. She was supposed to be named after the biblical figure Orpah but someone transposed the letters at the birth registry so her name became Oprah.
2. Briefly dated movie critic Roger Ebert in the 1980s.
3. Was afraid of chewing gum as a child when her grandmother would keep used sticks in the cabinet. She once said she has "a whole thing about gum" and doesn't allow it in her workplace.
VIDEO: Oprah on Being a Recent Victim of Racism
4. Became the first African American woman named to the Forbes list of billionaires.
5. Learned to read by age 3 after being taught by her grandmother.